Monday, November 9, 2009

Have a bicycle sale, and they will come.

They showed up. Certainly not all of them, but some came. Others of my kind. Despite Modesto's deserved reputation for not being the most bicycle friendly place on this planet, there are a few of us residing here. Our kind: folks who collect, appreciate, and work on older bicycles as a (sometimes obsessive) hobby.

About a dozen people stopped by my little bicycle garage sale/swap meet on Saturday. They perused the vintage frames, parts, and bicycles I had displayed outside my garage. Some of them purchased a few cranksets, seats, and bottom brackets. Another late-comer bought a mountain bike frame. A few of them expressed interest in the single speeds I was working on and wanted a notification when they were completed. All in all, it was a success! A success for the simple fact that most of the visitors hung around for an hour or more and just chatted with me and each other about bicycles. And this is what I was hoping for more than sales. We all exchanged phone numbers and emails and planned to try and do it again in a month or so.

One thing I did learn from this get-together is that most folks are collectors and not mechanics. I seemed to stand alone in that department. Some of these guys have a dozen or more bicycles, most of which sit in makeshift museums in the garage or extra bedroom. All manner of bike was represented: high end Italian road bikes, very expensive collectible American cruisers, and even old, old (30's) bicycles. Near the end of the sale, I even got a visit from three teenagers looking for parts for their "fixie" (no gears, no coasting) bikes. They bought a couple of parts and may return someday to buy one of my custom single speed conversions. "Dude", one exclaimed, "the paint job on that frame is sick!" Sick being the new bad...or cool or bitchen.

I'll try it again in a month or so. I'm hoping one of the others picks up the baton and volunteers his driveway next time. If not, I'll doing it again.

A retired teacher with whom I chatted for an hour or so returned after it was done to hand over an old Schwinn lady's Varsity frame he picked up. "Hey", he said pulling up in his truck, "want some free parts?" It was pretty rusty and incomplete, but had exactly what I have been looking for: chrome fenders. He bought it for $5 from a neighbor for the pedals. The frame and seat are very salvageable. "Jon, can I pay you something?" "No, I got what I needed. Besides, I just like what you're doing...and because you had this garage sale!"

Sick! See what I mean?

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger