Saturday, March 21, 2009

1996 is vintage in bicycle years!

My "new" 1996 Trek 5000















The ratio is probably something akin to dog years. Bicycles, for the most part, have a relatively
short life span. They take a beating and are not often well-cared for, ie, left outside, thrown down, crashed, etc. Finding a 13 year old bike in great condition is somewhat rare, as in the case of the Trek I just got. It was ridden a few times, then put in a basement time capsule for 12 years.

One thing I've found about riding at my advanced age: one cannot turn one's head around as easily to check for oncoming traffic! I guess I used to be able to spin my head around as a teenager, put not anymore. If I try to turn my body for a better view, I get paranoid about falling over. Perhaps things will loosen up a bit as I get into better shape. In the meantime, I do a lot of stopping and starting when I have to turn corners or move into traffic. I just thought it would be a tad easier to assimilate back into this activity...not! I am however, not deterred. Riding is becoming quite addicting, something that is written about quite often in bicycle magazines and online forums. Could be worse. I could have taken up some other "addiction" with less benefits. The only downside: $$$. But, I'm learning how to ration out that as well.

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger