Thursday, October 1, 2009

I see your point? Or, get a life?

I just received an email from an eBay member scolding me for "converting" old, steel, 10 speed frames to custom painted, (sometimes) single speeds. The arrival of that email was anticipated. In other words, it was simply a matter of time when someone would take the time to express their opinion to me about "customizing" old bicycles. I did respond with a short diatribe about "10 speed, purist, self-righteous clowns" not seeing the whole picture.

How many '57 Chevy's, or '32 Fords have been made into bad-ass, customized hot rods that don't resemble the original? I made this point in my response. Visit Hot August Nights sometime and try to get into this debate with the good 'ol boys who build hot rods! They would twist his perfectly restored, original-condition bicycle around his neck and leave him somewhere in the desert near Virginia City. Perhaps he may see a spotted owl, a gila monster, or any other number of endangered flora and fauna.

So, should I have #1: Ignored the comment. #2 Said, "I see your point". Or, #3: Said, "Get a life!"

I said none of that, other than referring to him as a "clown". And, suggested he seek out in his surrounding area owners of old, bikes rusting and rotting in their backyards...and chastise them. Isn't that worse than rescuing an old bike and giving it new life in any form?

I guess there is a place in this world for tree huggers and vintage 10 speed huggers!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger