Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Another Time, Another Place, Another Life

I couldn't help myself. A huge wave of nostalgic waxing flowed over me as I began the overwhelming task of going through boxes and boxes of old stuff in our garage. I just had to drop this into a blog.

Yes, that is me (on the left) in an ad for my radio show in December of 1986. This morning news, music, "entertainment", comedy skits, and whatever else we could conjure up off the cuff program was one of the last ones in my illustrious career in radio. I did stay in that business for a few more years however in sales and commercial production. But the daily early morning grind ground to a halt shortly after that picture was taken. It didn't end for lack of an audience. It ended for lack of commercial revenue at the radio station. Live, small town morning radio shows were beginning to go the way of the Do-Do bird. Satellite programming had begun to wedge its way into the Central Coast market,ie, San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach area of California.

Oh, I could have endured a few more years on the air...without a raise or even promise of more money. I could have stayed on and accepted longer work hours and more duties to justify my salary. I could have, but didn't. A couple of years later, I was "wooed" away from the glamour and fame of local radio and into the glamour and fame of restaurant management. The remainder of that hideous story (restaurant management) is now history as well.

I still long for the days of getting up at 4:00 am to do my morning radio show(s). I didn't relish hauling my lazy ass out of bed that early. But I did perk up once I got shaved, showered, and dressed, mustered some enthusiasm, and got quite a kick out of sitting down at the microphone before the sun came up and doing what I did. What I did was, and I use the word loosely, "entertain" folks on the radio. I played what was called Adult Contemporary music in those days, Easy Listening might be what it is referred to today. Although there was music, most of what I did was talk, take calls on the air, run trivia contests, interview people on the air live, do comedy skits as various characters such as Professor J. Michael Klembottom, Madame Julia, and Winston Mannington. The latter character's spouse being Phoebe Mannington (voiced my Glenda, my morning partner). It was a lot of fun while it lasted. But the times were changing. I guess I was as well.

The radio audience wanted "more music and less talk" now. And it was easier to sell commercials for a music format than for a talk format back then. It was and still is a game of ratings. It didn't matter that the higher rated stations audience were comprised of mostly teenagers (and still is today). Our very loyal, slightly more mature, more discerning, money-spending listeners couldn't keep me on the air any longer, despite a very flattering letter-writing campaign after we announced our impending departure.

I was no Howard Stern. That wasn't my style anyway. I was somewhat witty, but certainly not as crude or sensational or shocking. I did come across on the air as if I was actually enjoying what I was doing. And I was.

People ask me all the time, "Why don't you get back into radio. You were really good and you enjoyed what you were doing?" My answer: "It is rare to find a radio station owner who appreciates than genre any longer. And, heaven forbid...actually pay you for it!" And as a point of fact, too many of those little stations are owned by large radio groups. They own hundreds of stations now. And it's all about "numbers".

Perhaps with our upcoming relocation to another city in another state, I will explore the possibility of radio broadcasting again. Perhaps not. At the very least, my radio experience will always be there to fall back on. And you know what? It may indeed be time for that "fall back".

Bing bong! Five minutes past the big hour of five o'clock! Here's the new one from the Eagles!!!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger