Thursday, August 23, 2007

The reunion is on...we think.

My high school's 40th reunion may actually be happening the first weekend in October. Considering the fact there hasn't been a heck of a lot of interest on Classmates.com, it still seems a bit tentative at best. We graduated in 1967 with over 940 kids...only 27 or so have RSVP'd to this point (44 including guests). Of course, there will be the usual contingent of folks who just show up at the venue, poke their head in, then either run away or decide to come in when they recognize someone they knew. That has happened at the last couple of get-togethers. All three of us have officially committed to going (Bob, Gary, and myself).

For some odd reason, I have been somewhat active on the reunion website. Yes, me! Mr. Shy in High School, The Cynical Boy, the Poo-Pooer of all things high school, The One Not Voted Most Likely To Do Anything Noteworthy. I just didn't give a shit about much of anything during my time at CPHS. But here I am, posting blurbs on the reunion message board, making pleas for people to respond, to commit to going, to post photos and bios. What's up with that (I ask myself rhetorically)? Geeze, I've even suggested that we have Karaoke that night!

I realize not everyone can make it to their reunions. After 40 years, the class has scattered to all corners of the country and the world. Some can't make the trip due to physical limitations. Some are no longer with us. Some...they just don't have any desire to relive a time in their lives that may not have been as pleasant for them as for others. For the most part, I fall into that last category. So why am I going? Originally, it was solely to meet up with my two best buddies. But now, I may even be looking forward to the reunion itself! Hell, I've even given thought to what songs I would Karaoke. Whether or not my Karaoke performance actually happens remains to be seen.

For me, I feel this may be a small opportunity to make some new connections with some old acquaintances. To trade email addresses and websites. To share some memories of what we remember from Canoga Park in the 60's. Do you remember the Baronet Theatre across from the high school where we saw Help!? Or Woodlake Bowl, Bob's Big Boy, cruising Van Nuys Boulevard, hanging out at Topanga Plaza Mall right across the street, or going on a date to the Canoga Drive-in? The chances to compare memories and reminisce are endless. After 40 years, it's also time to bag the bittersweet ones and embrace the fond ones.

Someone suggested that if we can't get together in person, we establish some sort of internet virtual reunion online. That's not a bad idea either. But the small, enthusiastic group that has pledged to attend so far will make this trip worthwhile. Even if only 44 people show up, it will still be quality time...maybe more so than if hundreds came out of the woodwork. The on line hookups will be born, new relationships will be nurtured, old ones may be resurrected. Most of us will welcome it, especially the ones who make an appearance.

My suggestion for our 40th reunion theme? No Head Trips. No Baggage. No Regrets. Just Go!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger