Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dogs don't know they're dogs.

You know, I've come to the conclusion that most dogs don't even realize that they're dogs.

Spoiled, house, family dogs simply think they are a member of this so-called pack that resides in the house. Sure, they kind of realize their place in the scheme of things, ie, responding (at times) to discipline from the pack leader(s). But, they just seem to have their own agenda and don't often give a rat's ass if it is right or wrong or...dog-like.

Our little Jack Boo Boo Diddley Black and Tan Silver Dapple Mini Daschund most certainly is a big part of our family. He has established himself as a card-carrying member in the few short months he has resided here. Is he a pet? I suppose. But he is more than that.

It may be hard to explain to anyone else just what your pet means to you. I sometimes think that he has been royally spoiled. But after conversations with other pet owners and hearing about their behavior toward that family member...I don't think Loretta and I are the least bit eccentric.
However, as I write this, she is condescending to his refusal to remove himself from the bed so she can make it (a daily occurrence). He simply wants to be a part of the activity as well as "play" 99% of the time. Everything is a game! Of course, Loretta tends to let herself join in with the game, "Look at you Boo Boo. C'mon, get down. Oh, you're just so cute". Bingo. Dog Training 101. She affirms the behavior(s) every day. As for me in situations like this, "Get down Boo Boo...now", and shove him off the bed. Game over. And this is why he views me as the so-called Pack Leader, putting himself flat against the carpet when I approach him (a pointed index finger indicating the "down" command) until I give the sign that it is OK to jump up and down and act silly again (Boo Boo, not me). And, no, I've never ever been mean to him, hit him, or physically punished him. Verbal punishment? Oh, yeah. Ignoring him? Most definitely. Years ago I read that Albert Einstein simply ignored his dog when he misbehaved. Does it work? Maybe.


"Make-up affection" from your pet is quite satisfying! Boo Boo is a good one for kissing my butt when he knows I'm mad at him. The eyes tell it all.

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger