Friday, December 11, 2009

Grandpa for a year

My first (and only) grandchild, Rowan James Gonzales will be one year old on December 17th. His Mom, my daughter, Jenifer recently posted her thoughts on this rite of passage on her blog.

Just a few thoughts from Grandpa James, aka, Skip, aka, Jack Diddley...

We were able to visit with Rowan only a few short times this year, culminating with an upcoming year-end holiday get together that will last two days. I'm grateful for these times. Though face to face time has been economical at best, Jen's conscientious publishing of photos and video on the internet has kept me a bit closer to grandchild #1 considering the geographic separation is 872.5 miles. I feel as though I've watched him grow up to this point, including savoring video(s) of his very first solo steps just a few weeks ago, almost like being there.

Jen knows I don't complain about our "distant" relationship...because it is far from "distant". We communicate daily via instant messaging, emails, and an occasional skype session. I'm a very fortunate Dad to have this form of closeness.

Jen, Rowan, and Roth will be in our area (which also happens to be the same vicinity as Roth's parents) this Christmas. Loretta and I will visit the in-law's abode in Sonora on Christmas Day, then play host to the three Seattleite Gonzales's the last three days of the year here in Modesto. We will take them to Sac for their flight back on December 31st.

We are planning a short trip to The Emerald City (via auto) toward the end of January, near my birthday. As far as the rest of 2010, one of my resolutions is to make that trek more often than this year. I enjoy visits to Seattle and can totally commiserate with Jen and Roth for moving (staying) there. Is there a move in our future? Perhaps...in time. My employer welcomes transfers and there is a location in Puyallup, just a short jog down I-5 from Jen and Roth's place.
If and when everything is right, it may happen...got a few ducks to get in line first!

In the meantime, in the present (and near future), we'll enjoy it as it is.


"Are Grandpa Skip and Grandma Loretta here yet?"

"Yes, Ro. Mom's picking them up at the airport".

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger