Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Call me Stentman!

I'm sitting at home after several days in the hospital. The worst "scars" are a bunch of misplaced tape marks (bruises), and a few puncture wounds and bruises from untalented and uncaring phlebotomists. And the smallest "boo boo" (requiring a Band-Aid): a slight puncture wound (about the size from giving blood) in my groin where they repaired a 90% blocked artery (a repair from a 13-year old bi-pass) . The most unpleasant part: going in on a Friday (just like my surgery 13 years ago) and having to wait until Monday for the angioplasty. If I had gone in on Wednesday, I would have been home on Friday! Damn golfing doctors!

A very talented, very congenial, very friendly, and very engaging Cardio/Angio doc by the named of Michael Zhu performed the procedure in about 30 minutes in Dameron Hospital (contracted to Kaiser). We bonded immediately the night before during a visit to my hospital bed when he found out we both own iPhones. Strange bedfellows! During our conversation, I asked, "Well, I haven't been in a cath(eter) lab for over 13 years...could things have changed that much?" Dr. Zhu, "Light years! We're much better at it now...less invasive. We can get to (arterial) places we've never been able to before. We're putting (bi-pass) surgeons out of business!" Well, howdy-doody, rocknroller, Long Live The Beatles! I was a happy camper after that conversation. Of course, there was a possibility he couldn't affect a repair via catheter and another surgery would be in order. That would not be the case. Dr. Zhu found one of my three main arterial vessels (quite) blocked, the other two were clear...all three having been bi-passed in the previous surgery. In a very cheerful, slightly Mandarin/American accent, "You are one of my favorite patients. And, I did a great job on you!"



So, that's it in a nutshell. Prior to my bi-pass 13 years ago, I underwent three PCI's (percutaneous coronary intervention) over a period of ten years, angioplasty without stents. I lasted three years past the predicted "warranty" on a "cabbage", (surgeon speak for CABG - coronary artery bipass graft) and now I'm "clear" again. Relief from chest pressure and pain is immediate, recovery is minimal (a week or so), and I had no heart muscle damage (no heart attack, ie, MI, ie, miocardial infarction), ie, no excuses to get back on the bicycle...pun intended. A drug-eluting stent was installed in the occlusion, and all is well in Cardioland for now. Another bullet dodged.

The new lease (on life)...signed, seal, delivered. One week to go to sixty. I may actually make it!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger