Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I was so young when I was born.

I was born in Smallville, and raised in Metropolis.

Smallville was actually Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I wondered of late if I would have known what state Sioux Falls was in had I not been born there. Like so many mid-west towns, it was truly middle America. Though my knowledge of it is quite limited having left at the tender age of two. I can only imagine what it would have been like to be raised in such a mundane, average, overgrown farm town. For many years, the population of that city remained constant. As many people left as were born or moved there each year. It was some forty years later when I read that Sioux Falls was one of the 10 Best American Cities in which to live and work. Evidently, statistically speaking, my home town has the best of everything per capita: job opportunities, housing cost, cost of living, the least amount of crime, and so on. Large companies scooped up the cheap dirt and built factories and corporate headquarters there. The fact that Sioux Falls is smack dab in the middle of the American tundra must not have been considered when they wrote that magazine article. South Dakotans can only leave the comfort of their homes from April to October or they will be instantly frozen to death! No wonder my parents pulled up stakes and headed west shortly after I was born. They longed for the sunshine twelve months of the year. California, here we came!

Coming into Los Angeles!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger