Sunday, July 15, 2007

Jiminy Cricket...another of my many mentors.

I hate crickets! In fact, I despise them. Crickets are right at the top of my Extreme Insect Fear list, just below the loathsome Potato Bug, which, by the way, is technically a cricket as well (Jerusalem Cricket).

My fear of crickets was amplified several notches during the Great Las Vegas Cricket Incident of 1961. The short version of this terrifying tale of invading insects: My parents left my sisters and me in our motel room while they went out for the evening (I was old enough to be a babysitter). Las Vegas was in the midst of one of those Seven Year Cricket Swarm things. The nasty critters gradually began appearing inside the room by way of a screenless bathroom window left open. Chaos insued...running, screaming, cricket smashing with magazines and shoes, and a quick exit from the room leaving the door locked behind us. The motel manager helped us locate our parents who immediately returned, saving my sisters and myself from further trauma. Like I said, "I hate crickets!".

But there is one cricket who has remained near and dear to all of our hearts for over 60 years. He's that cartoon cricket and Disney icon, Jiminy Cricket. As a character in the fairy tale Pinocchio (1940), Jiminy reluctantly assumes the role of the puppet-turned-boy's Official Conscience (as assigned by the Blue Fairy). Jiminy's Disney movie role was expanded from the original story by Collodi, accompanying Pinocchio on all of his adventures. Offering advice and guidance to the wayward "boy", Jiminy Cricket ultimately set him on the straight and narrow...allowing Pinocchio to become a real, live boy and realize his dream. Jiminy convinced Pinocchio that by doing the right things, all of his wishes would come true. It was this wise and caring cricket who voiced the inspiring song, When You Wish Upon A Star.

Jiminy Cricket went on to become one of Disney's most revered and recognizable characters, including "stints" on The Mickey Mouse Club" as host of the "I'm No Fool" safety series. "I'm no fool, no siree! I'm gonna live to be 103!" I'm quite sure that it was Jiminy Cricket who taught me to look both ways before crossing the street.

I still hate crickets. But the character Jiminy Cricket was never perceived as kin to that creepy, jumping, chirping bug. He was truly our Official Conscience, just like he was for Pinocchio. The only difference between Pinocchio and me...I was already a human boy. My wishes and dreams were (and still are) there for the asking.

I guess I still need to wish upon that star. And try to do the right things.

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger