Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Even Pismo was hot!

We left Modesto at 8:00 am Sunday for Pismo Beach, arriving around 12:30. A few miles prior to that, Highway 101 passes through San Luis Obispo...it was 101 degrees already. A few minutes later, Shell Beach, Pismo Beach, and Arroyo Grande came into view along with the Pacific Ocean. The temperature was now 81 degrees, still warm for this beach area. The afternoon saw temps into the mid-90's, not the high of 74 that was forecast. Yes, it was stinking hot in Pismo Beach Labor Day Weekend. So much for plans to escape the valley heat that edged up to 105 or so.

Loretta and I stayed at my Mom's place. We slept on a large, inflatable Coleman mattress that yours truly did not inflate adequately. Let me put it this way...every time one of us moved, it was like being on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland. Enough bitching for the time being.

I made dinner for the three of us, including a margarita or two; a version of Steak Diane that turned out not half bad. Then we headed to Shell Beach to watch the sun set. Hang on, another bitch session follows. The Santa Ana wind was blowing from the southeast, not the usual seabreeze off the water. It was stinking hot at Shell Beach at sunset as well. I snapped a couple of pictures. Loretta, my Mom, and I kept looking at each other with puzzled looks on our faces because of the heat. My Mom continued to apologize for the weather conditions. We insisted it wasn't her fault, then headed back to her place.

Fact: Hardly anyone has air conditioning there. It's just not needed 99% of the time, even in the Summer. It was now 95 degrees. O.K., end of bitch session (again).

The next morning, we met my son Jimmy for breakfast. All in all, it was a fun quickie to Pismo due to the fact that we had a few laughs with my Mom and I got to see my hard-working son for a couple of hours. Oh...and we adopted my Mom's little Pomeranian, Sassy. We now have four dogs. So far, she is still a little timid, but is adapting famously to her new life in our balanced pack of pooches. We have become The Dog Whisperers of Modesto. Thanks Caesar!

Sassy is a nine year old, tiny, furry ball...a teacup-size Pomeranian. She's a very sweet dog and has weathered the drive and changes in environment very well so far. Keep in mind that she now shares a household with an old, blind, male Dauschund, an overly-attentive female Boxer, and a somewhat aloof male Greyhound. We now have four distinct sizes of canine. I think we are one dog over the limit imposed by the county animal regulation department. Oh well...Sassy's quite small! Our original plan was to function as a foster home until we could find a worthy owner for Sassy. But Loretta is so fond of her we may end up with her as new permanent member of this crazy house. At least she won't get bored.

Exercise. Discipline. Affection. Let me add: Tolerance. Patience. Prosac.

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger