Thursday, September 6, 2007

What would you rather be doing?

About twenty five years ago, I had the opportunity to interview Jack LaLanne. You know, America’s first T.V. exercise and healthy living guru. I was working at a little A.M. Top 40 radio station in San Luis Obispo. Jack and his wife were living in nearby Morro Bay and were promoting some charity event.

First of all, he’s a little guy. Second, he still wears that jump suit where ever he goes, and, he was still very trim for a 70 year old guy. Third, he never stops talking about himself in that signature Jack LaLanne staccato, confident, in-your-face style of conversation. You just sit there and listen to him, no need to ask any questions...he answers them all before you get a chance to ask them. He is a consummate self-promoter.

One of the things I remember most from all the information he threw at me was the philosophy concerning his career success and happiness in life. It was, and still is, a very simple plan. Jack told me that he never set out to make a fortune (although history will confirm that he did do well financially). He said your goal should be to provide a product or service that will help others improve and enjoy their lives. And, this must be something that you enjoy doing and that you are good at. Success and happiness will follow. However, determining what success means to you is the biggest variable in this parable. In Jack LaLanne’s case, he wanted to become successful at influencing people how to take care of themselves correctly. In its simplest form, this means eating properly, avoiding white sugars, flours, and other “poisons”, while exercising on a regular basis.

Recently, I’ve been assessing my life and career(s) with The LaLanne Method in mind. In doing this, I had to ask myself four questions: What am I good at? What do I enjoy doing? Can I make a living at it? What talent or skill that I possess is the answer to all three of those questions?

With that in mind, let’s explore a few options. How about eating? I’m good at it, I enjoy it, but can’t make a living at it. How about being a gigalo? I wouldn’t be good at it, I may enjoy it, I could probably make a living at it, (Loretta would most certainly not approve or even appreciate the comic relief meant here!) How about a restaurant manager (my most recent long-term career)? I’m not good at it, I hate doing it, I can make a living at it. Note to self regarding the restaurant management business: Stop hitting self in head with a hammer! How about photography and writing? I’m good at it, I really enjoy doing it, I can make a living at it. Note to self regarding photography and writing: Duh!

Realistically, life may not be as simple as that. Notice I said may not, considering I still don’t have all the answers to most of the questions I have been asking myself all my life. For some reason, I thought I would have some of the answers by now. At 25, I knew I had all the answers...isn’t that one of the definitions of psychosis? You know, a neurotic thinks he is a dog...a psychotic knows he is a dog?

Yeah, I suppose Jack LaLanne is one of my mentors. But so are Jack Nicholson, Jack Nicklaus, Jack Kennedy, Jackson Browne, and Jack Diddley...among many others, some not named Jack. Can I assume that each every one of them found their niche in life, found something they were good at, that they enjoyed doing, and they could make a living at. They come from Fitness, Entertainment, Politics, Music, and Fiction. The one thing they have in common is that they could answer those four questions I recently asked myself...and one more important question. What would you rather be doing? They would all say “Nothing...this is exactly what I should be doing. I couldn’t imagine doing anything else”.

So today, my goal is to move toward becoming really good at just one thing. And that takes practice. I will pick up the Fender Stratocaster in my den, and practice playing a D chord. Then, I will move on to A, and G, and E...then Am, Fm, C# and all the rest. How else can I become a rock guitarist if I don't become really good at it? Hey, rock guitarist was one of the answers to all of those questions!

What would you rather be doing?


Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger