Saturday, October 27, 2007

A converation with a Pomeranian.

Today, our little Pomeranian stood behind me in the bathroom while I got ready to get in the shower. No, she's not tall enough to do that...our Greyhound is, but I've stopped disrobing in front of him. So Sassie, the Pom, began barking at me in that tiny dog "ruh ruh ruh ruh ruff" thing. I turned around and she stopped barking and begged for attention. Then, as I turned back she started again. I could see her in the bathroom mirror and she me..."ruh ruh ruh ruh ruff"! She was barking at my reflection in the mirror. Granted, I was naked. But I'm not convinced I look that different naked in the mirror than I do not in the mirror.

Do dogs perceive there is another room or another world in a mirror? Quite possibly. I've observed our Boxer, Lucy, stare at me in the full length mirror in our bedroom...I was standing right next to her. She didn't bark at me though. She just wanted some attention from the dummy making faces at her in the reflection considering I was ignoring her "in person".

Perhaps I need to take a closer look at my reflection in the mirror. Perhaps dogs have some sort of visual perception that we humans have yet to acquire...or have lost over the course of evolution.

Me: Sassie, why are you barking at my reflection in the mirror? What's up with that?
Sassie: Well, I have noticed that the "you" in the mirror appears to be left-handed. And I know for a fact that you are a right-handed human. I thought you were someone else. By the way, dogs are ambidextrous you know.
Me: Thanks for that reminder. But can you see in color? Ah hah!
Sassie: Of course we can. You're wearing blue boxer shorts, aren't you?
Me: Another superior human myth dashed to the ground!
Sassie: We also have feelings. It took you over 50 years of yelling at your dogs before you realized that.
Me: How was I supposed to know?
Sassie: I guess I shouldn't look a gift human in the mouth. Get it, gift human!
Me: I get it.
Sassie: Dogs have a sense of humor too.
Me: Yeah, this conversation is a riot. Hey, why do dogs lick themselves and drag their butts around on the carpet?
Sassie: Because we can! What do you do when your ass itches?
Me: Ya' got a point there. Wanna potato chip?

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger