Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sleepless About Seattle

After spending five days in Seattle this past week, I’ve come away with mixed emotions about the city I’ve wanted to live in for over 30 years.

This was a long overdue trip to see my daughter and son-in-law, specifically to spend some time with her. We pretty much just did the tourist thing with cameras in tow. Plus a couple of culinary adventures for good measure. After all, I did eat sushi for the first time. Jen and Roth were excellent hosts, as always.

Back in the seventies, I sent many resumes and radio airchecks to Seattle radio stations. At the time it was (and probably still is) a Top 20 radio market, ie, regarding population, market size, etc. I really wanted to work there and live there, even though I had not even visited Seattle yet. The culture, the opportunities, the size, the demographics, the allure...all of which fascinated me for years. Still does. The closest I got to Seattle career-wise was Boise, Idaho...a poor substitute for the Emerald City in terms of culture. I lasted six months there. It took one month to discover the mistake, and five more months to find a way back.

I would still love to make that jump to hyper space and come out in Seattle. The call of the Northwest is still strong. Or maybe my aversion to where I am now is stronger. I don’t know at this point. Other factors are now affecting my decision whether or not to “blow this pop stand”.

Logistically speaking, picking up and moving a thousand miles is a daunting task. Finding a great job, selling the house, and the other things that come with this possible future all weigh heavily. Loretta’s anxiety can not be overlooked as well. She has always been agreeable to all of my adventures, with a smattering of trepidation of course. That’s expected.

Today, this morning, we will sit down and make one of those ‘Pros” and ‘Cons’ list about moving. Maybe that will help make things more clear for a making a righteous decision. And one of the items on that list, one that should be a ‘Pro’ has turned into a ‘Con’. The fact that my daughter and son-in-law live in Seattle now. And this particular ‘Con’ has much more weight than the “gloomy weather”, the “hassle of moving”, or “selling our house”.

I’ve come to discover that I’m expecting too much from my daughter when it comes to support for this move of ours. Actually, she recently told me that in an e-mail. I’ve also come to feel that she may not actually want a parental intrusion into her newfound world. After more than two years in Seattle, I’m not convinced that she would truly welcome close proximity on my part. An occasional visit, yes. A full-time city-mate, no.

There is no fault or hard feelings. Just reason to rethink. I respect other people’s feelings, even if they pain me a bit. I would not be selfish enough to ignore another person’s wishes, especially my child’s.

Jenifer’s cordial and caring invitation for me to come visit recently was accepted and I made the trip. I know she truly wanted to see her Dad for a few days now since they won’t be coming here for the holiday season. I had a great time, her gracious hospitality made me feel right at home. Her efforts to provide an enjoyable itinerary were wonderful. I just hope I didn’t impose too much on her and Roth. Their house is small but very homey and comfortable.

Loretta didn’t make this trip due to job responsibilities. Our next visit to Seattle will include her. It will make things much easier on everyone if we stay in a hotel. They can make the short drive to downtown Seattle and we can take them out to dinner at one of those trendy eateries we always read about. It’s all good!

Now...time to get at that ‘Pro’ and ‘Con’ list. No decision has yet been made about moving.

And for Jen and Roth: If you hear a knock on your door someday and find a familiar-looking older couple standing on your stoop with four dogs...we’ll just be visiting. But, we may be living across town as well!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger