Saturday, December 22, 2007

Ooo, eee, ooo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang

Ah, memories of Christmas past. It will have to suffice for now.

That 45 rpm record from which those memorable lyrics come is what I wanted for Christmas in 1958. That tune, The Witch Doctor, was the predecessor to The Chipmunk Song both written and sung by Ross Bagdasarian, aka, David Seville. Fifty years later, the CG/live action movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks, is now playing in theatres. Some things just never go away!

But that wasn't all I wanted for Christmas as a child. I asked Santa for much more than a goofy, hit novelty song mistakenly recorded at half speed. Over the years spanning the mid fifties to the mid sixties, I longed for toys that had been embedded in my brain by television ads. I got all of them! Some of which included:

The Fanner '50 - a "chrome-plated" plastic replica of a 50 caliber revolver complete with spring-loaded shells that shot plastic bullets out the barrel! Not likely found under anyone's tree in this day and age.

Battling Betsy - No, not a soldier doll, but a battery operated Sherman tank that "could run over anything", including my baby sister. Our little dogs (toy poodles) would run and hide when I cranked up this battery-operated baby!

The Remco Pom Pom Gun - Yes, an accurately depicted miniature size replica of a twin 40mm anti-aircraft gun found on battleships and destroyers, complete with controls enabling this nine year old to traverse the gun from side to side, and up and down, while firing at imaginary enemy aircraft.

The Remco Ballistic Missile Site - You think I'm kidding, don't you? I could open the motorized doors, raise the two missiles, and fire them across the room. Can you say Cuban Missile Crisis and its affect on toy marketing?

The Revell Nautilus Nuclear Submarine model kit - Just what it sounds like. The entire side was removable revealing complete details of everything inside a submarine, include nuclear missiles.

The Frontiersman Rolling Block 50 caliber buffalo gun - Again, included spring-loaded bullets and "stickem' caps" that exploded when fired.


I also got chemistry sets, microscopes, transistor radios, bicycles, remote-controlled cars and gas airplanes, watches...and the proprietary sweaters, socks, underwear, and shirts. The latter mainly received from Aunts and Uncles, a wise ploy by my parents delegating the "boring" gifts to relatives.

The most sophisticated electronic device was the transistor radio. No iPods, no cell phones, no computers, no video games. But, we were spoiled with Christmas gifts...and couldn't wait for December 24th. Who knows what kids will be wishing for in another 30 years?

This year, my only wish is that we can see our kids and parents and siblings more next year. We won't be able to be with them on Christmas. We do have each other though, Loretta and I, and that is what is important right now. I also have relatives and close friends with whom I will have a brief phone conversation on that day. And I look forward to those verbal exchanges hoping they realize how much I miss being with them.

So, here's a hearty ooo eee ooo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang to all. It's the good memories that keep us going.

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger