Sunday, April 8, 2007

Foamy food - what's up with that?

It conjures up one of those scenes from a Steve Martin movie, "Waiter, there are snails on her plate! Get them out of here and bring us something decent!"

Only now, it would sound something like, "Waiter, there is foam on my plate! Get this out of here and bring me some food!"

I suppose I shouldn't criticize this relatively new trendy food "trend" until I taste something with foam on it. Or is there a taste profile at all? Whatever the foam tastes like, it can't be much. After all, it's friggin' foam! Maybe it just looks interesting sitting next to the other micro tidbits and mini-drizzles of colorful sauces, expensive baby vegetables, and unpronounceable crumbs of who-knows-what.

Even the foam doesn't cover very much of mega-sized plates...so oversized and lacking of substance that it looks as though you've been served a dirty plate from the nearby bus tub.
"Excuse me, waiter", I ask, "it seems as though someone has already eaten off this plate...all that's left are scraps!"

Me: "And how much am I paying for this quarter-sized morsel of pigeon feet, stinky cheese, and see-through shavings of fungis?"
Waiter: "Sir, I believe it is priced at $27. But let's not forget that your are privileged to be experiencing cuisine from Chef Marquar Benitez, from Spain".
Me: "What do you call this stinky concoction again?" (becoming a tad indignant)
Waiter: "Now, now!"
Me: "Well...this Now Now not only smells like doggy doo, it has foam on it!"

(My thanks, again, to Blake Edwards and Peter Sellars for the Now Now joke.)

For us tonight: Baked Ziti, homemade sourdough bread, and a glass or two of cheap red wine. There won't be any foam involved...except from the yeast in my soughdough starter! The final 9 episodes of The Sopranos begins tonight.

Fugeddaboutit!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger