Monday, April 2, 2007

Potpourri- I hate my life, Wendy's stinks, home made sourdough.

Me and Loretta...

Me: Honey, I hated my life until I met you (12 years ago),
Loretta: What d'ya mean? You still hate your life!
Me: Yeah...but not quite as much.

Wendy's...

For some inexplainable reason, we ventured into our nearby Wendy's for lunch today. Loretta says, "Hey, look...Junior Bacon Cheeseburger for 99 cents!" Our visit only validated why we never go to Wendy's. I used to patronize them years ago...you know, those big, square meat patties, ketchup, lettuce, tomato...not bad. But this Junior Bacon Cheeseburger didn't resemble the poster in the window in the least. I hadn't seen such a miniscule burger patty since I worked at McDonald's in 1966. And, some sort of piece of iceberg lettuce from the stump area of the head, a tomato slice that was still green, and one slice of see-through, pre-cooked bacon. Oh yeah...and the bun was stale. That Dave guy would be rolling over in his grave if he knew what was happening at Wendy's now! Loretta says, "Why do people come in here?" "Must be the chili and baked potatoes...'cause it sure ain't for the burgers!", I replied. How can you f***up a hamburger?

Home Made Sourdough Bread...

Today, I baked my first from-scratch, home made sourdough bread. Yesterday, I made the sourdough starter. And today I baked my first "artisinal" bread. It turned out excellent...thick, crunchy crust, etc. I knew I could find a purpose for that pizza stone someone gave us for a wedding present! The character of the sourdough will improve as the starter ages. One must remove some every few days and replace it with fresh water and flour...the yeast does the rest. It's soooo easy. The bread baking business (like the coffee business) could be so profitable...the ingredients cost next to nothing. They say that San Francisco sourdough bread is so good because of the weather there...salty humidty, et all. I'll have to settle for just thinking about the City by the Bay when I'm making it...couldn't hurt.

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger