Saturday, January 26, 2008

The 59th Year

There really isn't anything too awful special about someone's 59th year. No pre-determined landmarks, just a signpost or two. Some are fortunate enough to be able to officially retire in a year and half I suppose. Unlike the 17th year, the year we turn 16 and climb behind the wheel solo for the first time, the 59th year is rather mundane. Turning 58 doesn't really mean much in the scheme of things...unless you choose it to be special.

For me, the simple fact that I will celebrate this birthday above ground is quite consequential. I try not forget that, along with all the other things and people I am fortunate to have surrounding me.

Tonight, Loretta and I will go out to dinner at a popular, local Italian restaurant (not the O.G.!). We will be going compliments of two new found friends who also happen to be my employers.

Yesterday, another new found friend surprised me with a birthday present...a new electric guitar. I sold my old guitar last year because I wasn't playing it, a decision that became regretful as I missed the diversion it provided me.

A couple of weeks ago, Loretta bought me a new "smart" cell phone, something that has made my new endeavor much easier to manage.

I spoke to my cheerful Mom, Betty, via that new cell phone last night. We always wax nostalgic around my birthday, me being her first born. "Geeze", she often says, "If my son is that old...how old does that make me!" And then we laugh together. I usually retort with, "If I'd known I was going to get this old, I would have taken much better care of myself!" And then we laugh some more.

My best friend, Bob, calls me several times a week. I'm sure I will hear from him today as well, "Ya' feel older?", he might say as I answer the phone. Or maybe, "Man, you're an old fart!" Then I remind him that he is nine months older than me, and we laugh...and trade a few more old man jokes.

So, I choose to make my 59th year on this earth the best it can be...by savoring the good and calmly dealing with the bad. As I pledged on New Year's Day...to try to do anything better this year than last.

There will be a date, probably sometime in May, that will most likely come and go without much fanfare. That will signal the beginning of my 60th year of life. But, since that date also coincides with my parents wedding anniversary, I just may tip a glass or two to that red-letter day!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger