Friday, February 2, 2007

I want good customer service back. I want it back now!

So...I was in the Pismo Beach area a couple of days ago. The purpose of said visit was to see my mom and to see my son. And, of course, snap a few photos of the Pacific Ocean near sunset. In the 24 hours I was there (after driving 240 miles one way), I accomplished all of my little goals...spent one night...then headed back to Modesto the next day.

It doesn’t seem to matter where I go anymore...I always manage to find another fine example of crappy customer service. This time, it was at a restaurant in which I used to manage many years ago. A restaurant that used to represent the finest customer service ethic...far beyond any other. My son Jimmy and I walked in for breakfast about 8:30. There were two tables of diners, and two female employees standing at the end of the counter. As the door closed behind us, we stood there having a staring contest with the two female employees (who were about 10 feet away from us). After about a half minute of just standing there, staring...we walked further into the restaurant, nearer the two employees...still just staring at us with stupid smiles on their faces. Then I finally opened my mouth...

Me: (pointing toward the near empty dining room) Do we just seat ourselves?
Employee: (Tilting her head to one side with a look of disgust on her face) Tah...yah!
Me: Oh! (As I headed for a table)

One of them brought menus over to our table.

Employee: (Throwing the menu down on the table) My name is Sara. Jennifer will be with you in a moment.

There was no Welcome to (restaurant name). No Would you like to start with some coffee? No Here are the daily specials. Not even any eye contact. And neither one of these bimbos were doing anything when we walked in. Sorry...they were doing something. They were talking to each other...and eating something.

I must say that when Jennifer came over to take our order...she was cheerful, polite, and friendly. The food was delivered in a timely manner and the waitress was attentive. By the way...it cost $19.98 for two orders of Bacon & Eggs...no coffees. It ain’t even cheap at this place any longer!

This was a restaurant years ago that would take employees with nasty, non-caring attitudes out back and (verbally) slap the shit out of them (first offense). The second time they did this, they would be fired. End of story. Goodbye!

Has the state of customer service gotten so bad everywhere that employees don’t feel a need to even greet guests anymore? Why do we have to be the first to say something after we walk in...or step up to a check stand...or a “Customer Service” counter?

What has happened to customer service? Where did it go? I want it back! I want it back right now!

To add insult to injury, the Biscuits and Gravy gave me heartburn on the long drive back home. It stayed with me all day!

The name of this locally-owned place shall remain anonymous due to the fact that my son works for them (at another location). I’m sure it would jeopardize his job if someone found out his father (an ex-employee) was being critical of this dump.

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?

Blog Archive

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger