Monday, February 12, 2007

Yes...I actually watched The Grammys...for a little while.

I must admit...I was not totally repulsed by the Grammys last night. At my age, admitting to my peer group that I watched it at all is somewhat embarrassing in itself. Let’s face it...I'm (we’re, re: my peer group) are out of the current musical loop. Sure I am familiar with a handful of names on the “charts” the past 10 years or so. But not many.

Years ago (27 to be exact) I was still in a radio broadcasting career. I was not only a morning show DJ, I was a program director and music director. My job required that I be in tune with “today’s” music scene, the Billboard charts, the music news, and so on. Topping the list in 1980 were names like Christopher Cross (who won 4 awards including Record of the year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist) for “Sailing”...Kenny Loggins...Bette Midler...Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb...Billy Joel...Pat Benetar...Bob Seger...and Police. I was not only familiar with who was nominated, I was actually playing much of the music on my show...and rooting for my favorites to win.

Last night’s Grammy Awards show opened with a live number by the Police. Andy Summers, Stewart Copeland, and Sting reunited after twenty one years to play their 1978 debut “hit” Roxanne. This performance also commemorated their 30th anniversary as a band. Though they disbanded in 1986, the Police (or simply Police) sounded (and looked) like they had still been together all these years. For me, it was like looking into a time machine of sorts.

I think I decided to watch the Grammy out of morbid curiosity. Having not seen it for many years, it was time to see what, and who, was happening again. Quite honestly, my revulsion to this music industry auto-stroking event has been my aversion to some of the forms of music now considered “popular”...specifically Hip Hop/Rap. That genre of so-called music has never been for me...period. Not to mention the silly names, the huge entourage of “people” who accompany the winners on stage, the goofy outfits, the sunglasses worn indoors, and....well, all that goes with this stuff...I just don't consider it "music".

Well, I only managed to stay with the show for about and hour and half...then I bailed to watch Final Destination 3. But during the time I was tuned in, I was not totally repulsed! The show was well-produced and somewhat respectable compared to times past. Of course, opening the show with the live Police number was wisely orchestrated by the producers to promote viewing by us old folks...smooth move. We old-schoolers may not have hung around for long, but we gave it a try. I can say that I watched The Grammys!

Winning names at the 2007 Grammys included The Dixies Chicks, Carrie Underwood, John Mayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mary J. Blige, and Gnarls Barkley. Who? Yes, Gnarls Barkley. I had never heard of him until last night, but he won Best Alternative Music Album for the album St. Elsewhere. His hit song Crazy (no resemblance to Patsy Cline's classic) is extremely reminiscent of something from Bobby Womack like Across 110th Street (from the Jackie Browne soundtrack), more R&B than Alternative or Hip/Hop.

Some of the lines between the music genres have been blurred recently...and that’s a good thing. Most of the winners last night seemed much more conservative than in previous Grammy awards. The top winner, The Dixie Chicks, are a country group. Who knew? I, for one, plan to do a little more iTunes browsing this week to "see" what is out there. I will download Gnarls Barkley’s Crazy.

My daughter Jenifer (she’s 27) suggests tunes to me from time to time. The last group she recommended I sample was The Shins. They're not bad. Sorry Jen, but I never got the resemblance of Coldplay to the Beatles...but that’s just me. I like John Mayer as well. Though it seems most of his tunes tend to be too similar and introspective for my tastes. Keep ‘em coming...I’ll always give it a try!

The pop music world is constantly evolving. Groups and artists come and go. That “15 minutes of fame” thing has been around since the 50’s. There are many One-Hit-Wonder songs from the 60’s that I still can’t get enough of today. Anyone remember The Electric Prunes, I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night? Probably not, unless you are over 50!

You see...I still get a little misty-eyed whenever I hear A Summer Place by Percy Faith. But, I'm just a sentimental sap.

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?

Blog Archive

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger