Monday, January 8, 2007

Dreams of the Stupid Kind

Stupid dreams. I have them all the time it seems. Not that all my dreams are “stupid”...just some of them.

So what is a stupid dream? Well, for instance, like the one I just had tonight. The one that started out as kind of erotic...then went downhill fast and ended in a nightmare! That’s a stupid dream. I won’t go into the details of this particular dream...it would be too embarassing. But it did wake me up...and I can’t get back to sleep because I keep thinking about it. Besides, I’m pretty sure a psychologist friend of mine reads this blog...and I am almost affraid of what the dream might mean...you know?

Most of my Dreams of the Stupid Kind involve me finding myself in some strange place far from home. Then cavorting around this surreal world trying to figure out how to get home. Or sometimes, just trying to find my “stuff”. My “stuff” being my luggage, my furniture, my car or other worldly possessions. It seems I tend to misplace my “stuff” in these subconscious adventures.

Having spent several years in the Navy cavorting around the Far East and other exotic locales, this history has managed to provide a lot of material for my stupid dreams. As a crewman aboard a Navy patrol plane, we were forced to carry our whole world with us when were deployed overseas. This usually consisted of a canvas duffle bag and a small suitcase or two. Most of time, we were able to take this “stuff” with us on our plane...but not always. For several weeks at a time, our crew had to make another deployment (away from the first deployment site) to Thailand or that Vietnam place. In which case, we had to leave most of our “stuff” back in the Philippines. Now...my “stuff” was all over the place...sometimes I couldn’t remember just exactly where!

So this may explain one of the recurring themes.

Other popular storylines revolve around various past love lives. Some of my Dreams of the Stupid Kind find me “re-living” unrequited love affairs, being a spurned lover, and running into ex-wives. I guess these might be considered nightmares. More accurately I could call them nightuncomfortablesituations. They usually don’t jar me awake like the one I had tonight. But they are somewhat disturbing and annoying at best...swirling around in my mind for most of the next day.

People have told me that they hardly ever dream. Most dream scientists (now there’s a worthless occupation that I would like to have) say that everyone dreams...but not everyone remembers their dreams. But yours truly, with the vivid imagination and propensity to daydream 18 hours a day...I’m conjuring up this slumber crap all the time. How about the one where I find myself at the mall...in my underwear?

I would like to simply go to sleep sometime and not be in a big budget computer generated sci-fi plot twisting epic. Just fall asleep...and wake up in the morning in my own home in my own bed. And, of course, know exactly where all my “stuff” is!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?

Blog Archive

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger