Monday, January 15, 2007

Grey's Anatomy - I've tried, but I just don't get it.

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

That’s how this T.V. show is described by its producers. Allow me to add my two-cents to the same line.

A drama centered on the professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors and how their personal lives totally detract from them being competent enough to provide any viable medical services to any patient at that hospital.

I realize any desire of mine to see the Hippocratic oath in practice means that I stick to watching Trauma:Life in the E.R. and not this actor-driven, self-indulgent, whiny, soap opera.

If any employee in any other “real life” profession allowed their personal problems to so intrude on their jobs like this, they would be fired immediately! For instance, I find it necessary to ask my wife (who has become somewhat addicted to Grey’s Anatomy) about every episode, “Now...who is screwing who? And, who is that?” Regarding the second question...considering two of the female leads could be twins and have (are) sleeping with the same guy or guys!

My daughter, Jenifer, kind of urged me to try watching Grey’s Anatomy months ago. But after asking her recently, “So...what made you become disinterested in this program and stop watching?”.
“Eh...it’s just too melodramatic. Drama queens (and kings)...small doses are alright...but it’s just gotten too out there”. Of course I paraphrased most of her comments, but hopefully you get the idea...and Jenifer will forgive my editorial embellishment.

Grey’s Anatomy has several decent actors and lots of pretty people. The scripts and story lines providing plenty of opportunity to emote, cry, whine, complain, and ply their thespian wares. But for gosh sakes...this hospital needs to be under review by some medical board or something. These people are supposed to be doctors...the ultimate professionals. Friggin’ M.D.’s! These interns are badly in need of a team of psychiatrists flown in directly from Vienna.

The bottom line is that Grey’s Anatomy is simply not believable. At some point, the viewer just loses interest due to the presence of, well...too much drama.

One story line, for example, that is particularly outrageous, concerns one of the surgeons losing partial use of his hand. All the while, his surgeon girlfriend finding it necessary to assist him with all his procedures so as to hide his true condition. How would that be possible for five seconds in a real hospital?

Well, I guess the millions of fans of Grey’s Anatomy would never sustain my objections about this program. But I just don’t get it. Sorry...I’ve tried.

Hunky guys, babelicious girl doctors...and cool music though. It’s got that going for it!

Yours truly

Yours truly
So what's your story?

Blog Archive

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered By Blogger